p. Remove the driver. If the driver is large or if you cannot open the driver's
hatch, grasp the driver under his armpits, pull him into the turret compartment, and
evacuate him through the commander's hatch or the loader's hatch on top of the turret.
If the main gun or the turret overhang is not blocking the driver's hatch, he can be
removed through the driver's hatch using the procedures given below.
Unlock the driver's hatch from inside the tank.
(2) Climb onto the front of the tank and, with the assistance of a rescuer,
open the driver's hatch.
(3) Reach inside, position the casualty's arms across his chest, and grasp
the casualty under one armpit. Have the rescuer grasp the casualty under the other
(4) Lift the casualty and rotate the casualty until he is facing the rear of the
tank (figure 6-3).
Figure 6-3. Removing the driver through the driver's hatch an M1.
(5) Continue to lift the driver from both sides until you can position the
casualty in a sitting position on the rim of the hatch.
Lower yourself to the ground.
Have the rescuer turn the casualty so you can support the casualty's
Grasp the casualty under his armpits and support his head.
Have the rescuer lower himself to the ground and support the casualty's
(10) Move the casualty away from the tank to a safe area.