(AcoS), Gl (personnel). The division commander normally charges him with full
responsibility for staff supervision, to include technical control, of all health service
activities in the command. He has direct access to the division commander and staff in
the performance of his duties as division surgeon. As a special staff officer, he advises
the division commander on all health service matters concerning the division. In
addition, the surgeon:
(1) Prepares the health service annex to the division SOP and the division
health service plan, as well as health service estimates and plans in support of division
(2) Coordinates the operation of unit medical elements and the division
medical battalion through direct contact with surgeons, physician's assistants, and/or
medical staff officers of combat and CS units.
(3) Coordinates with higher headquarters surgeons and medical
group/brigade commanders concerning the corps level medical support to division
medical units, including reinforcement or temporary replacement of division medical
elements when necessary.
(4) Provides plans and current information pertaining to the medical
situation and combat operations to the corps level medical units operating within the
(5) Coordinates with other special and general staff officers on the health
service aspects of:
(b) Stability operations.
(e) The AMEDD officer assignments and utilization.
The AMEDD enlisted personnel assignments and utilization.
(h) Control of critical items of medical equipment and supply.
Medical records and reports.