SOLUTIONS TO EXERCISES, LESSON 1
1. Physiology is the study of the functions of the body at the cellular level. (para 1-1)
2. Function in the human body occurs at three general levels: molecular, cellular, and
regional. A science related to the first level is biochemistry. The second level is
studied in physiology. The third level is studied in functional anatomy. (para 1-2)
3. Every structure is designed to perform a particular function. Every function has
4. As you stand upon the surface of the Earth, your body and its parts experience the
forces called gravity. The measure of this force is called weight.
If you were standing on the surface of the Moon, you would weigh much less, but
your mass would remain the same.
Matter which retains its specific form and shape is a solid. Matter which flows but
stays together is a liquid. Matter which flows and dissipates in many directions is a
5. As long as two areas are freely interconnected, a substance flows from an area
where its pressure or concentration is higher to an area where its pressure or
concentration is lower. The difference in pressure between the two areas is the
6. A living thing takes in substances, grows, moves, is irritable, and reproduces.
7. Ectomorphs are thin-bodied individuals. Endomorphs are broad- bodied
individuals. A body form between the other two consists of the mesomorphs.
8. Important general body functions include nutrition for energy, growth, and repair;
motion and locomotion; reproduction; and control. Three important control systems
are heredity/ environment, hormones, and the nervous system. The potential range
of an organism's characteristics is determined by heredity. The extent to which
these potential characteristics are developed is determined by the environment.
9. Solar energy is the first trapped on Earth by plants in the process of photosynthesis.
The molecules of glucose are consumed directly or indirectly by humans. Within
the human body, the trapped energy is released by the process of metabolic
oxidation. The released energy is used to form ATP from ADP. (para 1-10)
End of Lesson 1