Clean the anesthesia apparatus periodically or if it is dirty. Periodically clean the
flow meters, the absorber, the vaporizer, and the rubber goods.
a. Flow Meters. Refer to figure 1-5.
As required, clean the transparent flow meter shield with a soft cloth and
Avoid using abrasive cleaners.
b. Absorber. Refer to Figure 1-1.
Drain condensate through the absorber spigot.
Clean any accumulated residue from the absorber base.
(3) For maximum gas-tightness, handle the canisters carefully so as not to
dent the top sealing edge.
Keep the screens free of an accumulation of soda lime.
(5) Using warm water and a stiff-bristle brush, scrub the accumulated dust
from both sides of the canister bottom.
(6) Do not scrub the interior side walls of the canister. Clean with a soft
cloth and warm water only.
Allow the canisters to dry before refilling them with soda lime.
(8) You can remove any cloudiness which may appear on the inside of the
canisters by buffing the inside with dry Bon Ami (Bon Ami is a registered trademark of
Faultless Starch/Bon Ami Co.) and a soft cloth. Do not use abrasive cleaning
Alcohol, alcohol-base soaps and disinfectants, and liquid anesthetics
tend to soften the plastic canisters.
(9) For proper tightening, turn the clamp screw until the canisters just seal
against the gaskets and there are no leaks. Loosen the knob set screw and turn the
knob until it contacts the cross bar. Turn the knob back until the set screw lines up with
the flat side of the adjusting screw. Then tighten the set screw.