(10) Observe the check valves. One should be up and one down.
(11) Squeeze the test lung (the test lung is included with the tool kit for
medical equipment) while observing the check valves. The up and down check valves
should reverse themselves.
(12) Depressurize the system using the gas evacuator/ relief valve.
(13) Pull off the inhalation hose from the vaporizer.
(14) Put your hand over the vaporizer outlet and push the oxygen flush. The
pressure relief valve should relieve pressure.
b. Non-adjustable Pressure Relief Valve "Pop-off." To make sure that the
non-adjustable pressure relief valve will operate or "pop-off" if pressure builds up within
the breathing circuit, you must perform the following procedure. Make this test before
each general setup of the apparatus. Performing this procedure is particularly important
if the apparatus has been in storage for a period of time.
Close the cylinder supplies.
Close the flow control valves to their stops.
Close the gas evacuator/relief valve.
(4) Plug the vaporizer outlet nipple and the two exhalation check valve
nipples using the protective closure devices.
Open the cylinder oxygen valve.
(6) Open the metabolic oxygen flow control valve to show the maximum flow
(7 liters per minute [lpm]).
(7) Verify that the nonadjustable pressure relief valve opens before the
gauge needle reaches approximately 80 mm Hg on the breathing circuit pressure
Close the oxygen flow cylinder valve.
Close the oxygen cylinder valve.