SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR EXERCISES 4 THROUGH 10. Match the
classification (name) of the fracture in Column B to its description in Column A. Write
your answer in the space provided.
same or different bones
5. The hard cortical bone of one fragment is
driven into the softer cancellous bone of
6. The bone is broken and splintered into
three or more fragments or is crushed
7. A break in the bone that does not produce
an open wound in the skin
8. A break without external violence at an
area of the bone that has been weakened
by a local disease.
9. The fractured part is driven below the
normal level of the bone
___ 10. A break in the bone with an external wound
extending to the bone.
Fixation is accomplished by drilling holes on either side of the fracture and using
wire or metal plates to hold the segments in close approximation in:
a. A closed reduction.
b. An opened reduction.
It is necessary to immobilize a fracture of the jaw for _______ to ______ weeks
until a union between the bony parts takes place.