(2) Grasp the cover of the needle and remove from wrapper, taking care not
to touch the hub.
Discard the empty wrapper in the appropriate place.
h. Assemble Needle and Syringe.
(1) Remove the protective cover from the needle adapter on the syringe.
Holding the syringe in the nondominant hand and the needle by the protective cover in
the dominant hand, insert the needle adapter into the needle hub.
(2) Tighten the needle with a one-fourth turn to ensure that it is attached
securely to the needle hub.
(3) Do not touch the needle adapter or the hub to avoid contamination of the
Remove Protective Cover from Needle.
Hold the needle and syringe in an upright position.
Grasp the protective cover with the nondominant hand.
(3) Pull the protective cover from the needle straight off with an upward
motion. Do not use a twisting motion as this may cause the needle to come off the
j. Inspect Needle.
Visually inspect the needle for the following flaws:
(a) Burrs. Rough edges on the needle that could tear the patient's skin
during the injection.
(b) Barbs. Hook-like edges that extend away from the needle edge
and could cause injury to the patient.
Needle damage. Bent or broken needle.
If the needle has any of these defects, discard and obtain a sterile
k. Replace Cover. Place the protective cover back onto the needle.