Explain to the patient what you are going to do.
Bath blanket (optional).
(b) Bath towel.
Skin lotion, alcohol, or powder.
Adjust bed height to working level.
Provide privacy and quiet environment.
(5) Lower side rail. Position patient with back toward self. Cover patient so
that only parts to massage are exposed.
(6) Wash hands, and warm if necessary. Warm lotion by holding some in
hands. Explain that lotion may feel cool.
(7) Begin massage by starting in sacral area using circular motions. Stroke
upwards to shoulders. Use firm, smooth strokes to massage over scapulae. Continue
to upper arms with one smooth stroke and down along side of back to iliac crests. Do
not break contact with patient's skin. Complete massage in 3 to 5 minutes.
(8) Gently but firmly knead skin by grasping area between thumb and
fingers. Work across each shoulder and around nape of neck. Continue downward
along each side to sacrum.
(9) With long, smooth strokes, end massage. Remove excess lubricant
from patient's back with towel, and retie gown. Position for comfort. Lower bed, and
raise side rail as needed.
(10) Place soiled laundry in proper receptacle. Wash hands.