If a linen hamper is not available within or adjacent to the bed unit, hang the
used pillowcase on the back of the chair to receive the soiled linen. Do not
allow soiled linen to touch the floor.
d. Steps in Bed Making. The bed is made in the following manner, completing
one side before going to the other.
(1) Step 1. Place the bottom sheet on the mattress. Center it lengthwise;
fold at midline with the hem seam down and the bottom hem even with the foot edge.
Unfold the sheet across the bed. Tuck the surplus under the head of the mattress. Pull
the excess sheet taut and smooth over the top edge of the mattress, tightening it from
the underside of the mattress (figure 3-2).
(2) Step 2. To miter the corner, pick up a hanging side of the sheet edge
about 12 inches from the head of the mattress. Lay it back on the mattress in a triangle
(3) Step 3. Tuck the hanging corner of the sheet under the mattress,
holding your hands palm down to protect your knuckles from the bedspring.
(4) Step 4. Place your hand at the side of the mattress and even with the
top edge. Bring the triangle fold down over your hand to ensure a firm, smooth mitered
(5) Step 5. Tuck the sheet under the mattress working from top to bottom.
If mitered properly, the sheet will be smooth and neat when the bed is occupied, and
when the Gatch bed is elevated.
(6) Step 6. Center the top sheet on the foundation (previously placed
sheets) with the hem seam up and even with the head edge of the mattress. Permit the
surplus to extend at the foot.
(7) Step 7. Center the blanket with the edge approximately 8 inches (about
one handspan) from the head edge of the mattress and the surplus at the foot.
(8) Step 8. Center the spread or sheet with the edge even with the head of
the mattress and the surplus at the foot.
(9) Step 9. Place your hand under the foot end of the side of the mattress
to hold the foundation sheet taut while raising the mattress slightly. Smooth and tuck
the top sheet, blanket, and spread under the foot of the mattress. Miter the corner.
Leave the side of the top covers hanging free.