If desired, pick up the fenestrated drape and place it over the patient's
(10) Place a sterile tray on the sterile drape between the patient's legs.
(11) If you are obtaining a specimen, remove the lid from the specimen
container and place the lid on the sterile drape.
(12) Squeeze a small amount of sterile lubricant into the catheter tray.
(13) If you are inserting an indwelling catheter, attach the filled syringe to the
lumen valve of the catheter. Check the balloon patency.
(14) Prepare antiseptic cleansing solution.
(15) Cleanse the patient. Cleansing the area properly is very important in
order to prevent infection. Urinary catheterization is responsible for a high percentage
of nosocomial infections. (Nosocomial infection = infection acquired in a treatment
(a) Cleansing a female patient.
1 Separate the labia with your nondominant hand.
2 Place the thumb and forefinger between the labia minoria.
3 Separate the labia and pull up.
4 With your dominant hand using the forceps to hand antiseptic
wipes, cleanse the far labia from the clitoris toward the anus with the wipe. Discard the
5 With another wipe, cleanse the near labia. Discard that used
6 With another wipe, cleanse down the center directly over the
meatus. Discard the used wipe.
7 Throughout the procedure, keep the labia spread.
(b) Cleansing a male patient.
1 Support the penis with your nondominant hand.