Be calm and reassuring.
Position the patient on her back and place a folded sheet or drape under
Immediately, start an IV with a liter of saline at a to-keep-open (TKO)
(6) An assistant should move to the patient's head and be prepared to turn
her head to one side in case she vomits.
Make an oxygen tank and suction available.
(8) Wash your hands thoroughly before you open the obstetrical kit. If no
obstetrical kit is available, make an improvised kit by gathering the following:
Plastic bag or other waterproof material.
Clean sheets or towels (to use as drapes).
Pan or container (to collect the placenta).
(d) Rubber bulb syringe (to suction the newborn and clear its airway).
(e) Baby blankets (to wrap the baby in).
Material to tie or clamp the cord.
(g) Sanitary napkins.
Gloves (if available).
(9) Put on sterile gloves. Drape the patient with four towels so that
everything but the vaginal opening is thoroughly covered.
(10) Encourage the mother to relax and take slow, deep breaths through her
(11) Reassure the mother and explain to her what you are doing as you go