1-14. INDIVIDUAL EGG SCALE
a. Procedure to Check Scale Accuracy. You must check the accuracy of the
individual egg scale (beam indicating scale) (figure 1-5). You may use the following
Remove the egg scale from the kit and place the scale on a level table.
Release the wire lock.
Place the 20-ounce/dozen weight in the cup.
(4) Position one beam range weight toward the cup and the other beam
range weight toward the knob.
(5) Unloosen locking nut and screw the counterbalance knob in or out until
the scale is balanced.
(6) Tighten the locking nut. (You may need to screw the knob in slightly as
you tighten the nut in order to keep the scale balanced.)
Recheck the scale to ensure that it is balanced.
(8) Flip the beam range weight positioned toward the cup so that both beam
range weights are positioned toward the knob.
Replace the 20-ounce/dozen weight with the 23- ounce/dozen weight.
(10) Scale should balance without any additional adjustment of the knob.
(11) If scale does not balance, perform the procedure again. If the scale still
does not balance, use another scale.
(12) The test weights should be verified periodically using a gram scale.
b. Alternative Procedure. You may use the following equally valid procedure
of checking the accuracy of the scale instead of the first procedure:
(1) Balance the scale with a 23- ounce/dozen weight in the cup and with the
beam range weights pointed in opposite directions.
(2) Replace the 23- ounce/dozen weight with a 20- ounce/dozen weight and
position both beam range weights toward the cup.