Check mechanical and electrical equipment.
Arrange furniture in functional order.
(5) Assemble, arrange, and open outer and inner wrappers of sterile
supplies. Check package integrity, expiration date, and appearance of the indicating
Assist with gowning of scrub and surgeons.
(7) Pour sterile solutions: water, normal saline, and antibacterial solutions;
avoid splashing. Figure 1-22 illustrates commercially prepared and hospital prepared
Pass knife blades and suture to scrub.
Pass additional sterile supplies to scrub as needed.
(10) Take sponge count with scrub (must be witnessed by a registered
nurse). Record on sponge count board.
(11) Assist anesthetist with moving and positioning patient.
(12) Place the restraining strap properly.
(13) Assist surgeon with prep.
(a) Check with anesthetist before touching patient.
(b) Expose area--avoid unnecessary exposure of the patient.
(d) Focus light.
Removes surgeon's gloves after prep.
Replace kick bucket liner.
(g) Move liner containing soiled prep sponges to outer circle of room.
(h) Do not remove sponges, linen, or trash from room.
(14) Assist anesthetist in securing drapes.