THE ORDER OF PROCEDURE BARIUM ENEMA, AP AND/PA
1. Structure best shown. Entire contrast-filled large intestine. Both PA and AP
are generally taken with double contrast study..
2. Remove artifacts. All clothing removed, including undergarments. Remove
jewelry in area of interest.
3. Technical Factors: 14 x 17 in.
LM: Corresponding side.
(35x43 cm), (LW), Bucky. For larger
patients, use several CW 14 x 17 in.
4. Patient/Part position: Patient prone or supine, with arms up beside head,
a. Align midsagittal plane to table.
b. Insure there is no body rotation.
5. CR: Perpendicular to the film holder.
a. Iliac crests 5 inches center of film.
7. SID: 40-44" to the Bucky.
8. Shielding: Place lead shield over patient's pelvic region to shield gonads.
9. Respiration: Suspended expiration.
Figure 2-16. Large Intestine, barium enema, PA (pre-evacuation).