e. Checking Circulation of Patients with Casts. It is important to, check for
signs of impaired circulation. This check should be performed every 15 minutes. The
signs of impaired circulation are listed in the chart below. If there is evidence of poor
circulation, you will need to immediately notify the emergency room physician or nurse
and ask them to check the cast.
SIGNS OF IMPAIRED CIRCULATION
1. Fingers or toes cold to the touch.
2. Patient complaints of burning or tingling.
4. Color changes in the nail bed (bluish color).
5. Numbness or inability to move.
THE CARE OF A CAST
1. Handle a fresh (wet) cast carefully.
2. Avoid grasping a fresh cast with your fingers.
3. Handle a cast with hands open.
4. Check the patient every 15 minutes for signs of impaired circulation.