3-13. MOVE THE CASUALTY TO THE SKIN DECONTAMINATION AREA
a. Transfer the Casualty.
(1) Transfer the casualty to and then decontamination litter or onto a canvas
that has been covered with plastic sheeting.
CAUTION: Use proper body mechanics to avoid injury to your back. Use your leg
instead of your back to lift the casualty.
(2) Decontaminate your butyl rubber apron and gloves in 5 percent calcium
b. Lift the Casualty. Lift the casualty out of the cutaway garment using a three-
person arms carry.
(1) Lifter number 1 slides his arms (palms turned upward) under the
casualty's head/neck and shoulder.
(2) Lifter number 2 slides his arms (palms turned upward) under the
casualty's back and buttocks.
(3) Lifter number 3 slides his arms (palms turned upward) under the
casualty's thighs and calves.
Lifter number 1 gives the command to lift the casualty. (Prepare To Lift:
c. Stand Upright. Once the casualty has been lifted off the litter, all three lifters
stand upright and turn the casualty in against their chests. At this point, the casualty
has nothing on his body except his protective mask (minus the hood) and medical items
d. Replace Contaminated Litter. While the casualty is being held, another
team member quickly removes the contaminated titter and replaces it with a clean litter.
A decontaminable mesh litter should be positioned, if available.
e. Lower the Casualty. Lower the casualty to a clean litter in a supine position
on the command given by lifter number 1.
f. Return Casualty to Skin Decontamination Area. Carry the litter to the next
station (skin decontamination) return to the clothing removal area.
g. Dispose of Contaminated Materials. Transfer all contaminated material to
the clothing removal area for disposal.