required information, the inspector will have to utilize the Federal Supply Catalog Stock
List or the Subsistence Prime Vendor Local Stock Number Catalog to find the product's
(2) Deliveries to Defense Commissary Agency (DCA) facilities will be
inspected in accordance with the Joint Food Receipt Inspection Manual (JFRIM).
Requirements for these inspections will be in the Retail Ordering Agreement (ROA),
blanket purchase agreement, Defense Support Center Philadelphia (DSCP) contract, or
other purchasing tool.
(3) Food items inspected at Army and Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES)
establishments will be inspected using Exchange Service Regulation (ESR) 1-2.
(4) When contractual requirements can not be obtained, notify your
supervisor immediately and continue to inspect the product for characteristics
associated with that product.
b. STEP 2 - Inspect the conveyance or storage area, if necessary. (See
Subcourse MD0717, Storage and Sanitation, for more information on inspecting a
conveyance or storage areas.)
c. STEP 3 - Select the samples IAW the inspection data packet.
(1) Sample size for prime vendor inspections is IAW local Standing Operating
(2) Sample size for wholesale and retail activities (other than prime vendor) is
IAW the JFRIM.
(3) Sample size for all surveillance inspections is IAW AR 40-656 or
purchasing agency directives.
d. STEP 4 - Determine the product approved source status or exempt status.
(1) Some contracts are awarded requiring "inspection at destination only" or
for brand name items, e.g., Skipper's Ocean Perch Fillets. In either case, there is no
origin inspection. Therefore, the veterinary food inspection specialist is required to
inspect for all terms of the contract as stated in the contract. Normally, it is for identity
and condition only; however, part of the identity is to determine if the product is from an
approved source. To be an approved source, the plant must have been inspected and
sanitarily approved and listed in one of the following publications.
(2) To verify the approved source listing or exempt status of the waterfood.
(See Subcourse MD0694, Basic Food Inspection Procedures, for further instructions to
determine whether a subsistence item is from an approved source.)