16. Subcategories V64.1-V64.3 provide a classification for those patients admitted for a
scheduled procedure but discharged with surgery cancelled shortly after admission.
These codes will not be used as the cause of admission.
17. Subcategory V65.2 (Person Feigning Illness (Malingerer)) should be used only after
the record has been reviewed by either a department chief, the chief of professional
services, or a medical care evaluation committee because of the legal implications
(Manual of Courts-Martial, 1969, para 194).
18. Category V67 (Follow -up Examination) will be used to include surveillance only
following treatment, and will be used for follow -up exams for patients with previously
19. V7 category will be used for examination and screening for specified
circumstances. Code V7.8 will be used for examination of potential organ or tissue
donors. (See Principle XVI.)
20. Category V71 will be used for inpatients to classify observations and evaluation for
suspected conditions which show no need for further treatment or medical care. Codes
from this category can only be used as the principal diagnosis.
1. V Codes are primarily for use as a supplemental code with the primary code being
the current condition which requires hospitalization. However, it may be used as a solo
code for inpatients without disease or current injury. It may be used as the principal
diagnostic code to support surgery done for purely cosmetic purposes.
DIAGNOSIS: Protruding ears. (Eight -year old is admitted for
Otoplasty.) V50.1 744.29
2. A V code denotes hypersensitivity to in sect sting (bite) where that condition results
in disability separation/failure to meet medical procurement standards.
DIAGNOSIS: Hypersensitivity to bee sting. (Patient is
being separated from the Service.)
3. Sterilization. If the primary reason for admission was for elective sterilization, use
code V25.2. Also, use this V code as an additional code if the sterilization procedure
was performed for contraceptive purposes during a current obstetrical delivery
admission. Do not use this V code when the major purpose of the procedure performed
was not for elective sterilization, but to remedy a disease process.