(2) There should be no code for false positive on inpatient records . Because
we require two Elisa and a Western Blot before a diagnosis is made, the chances of a
false positive are negligible.
(3) For hospital inpatients, there will be no need for a diagnosis or code on the
medical record face sheet to reflect "negative serology - HIV." We do not diagnose or
code other negative laboratory findings; there is no need to do so with HIV.
1. The manifestation chiefly responsible for the hospitalization is the principal
diagnosis and is sequenced first, followed by the 4 . HIV infection code. Code also all
other manifestations and the stage code.
DIAGNOSES: HIV Dementia
AIDS, Stage 6
2. When a patient is admitted for a follow-up examination, code to V67.59 and code
the stage of infection.
DIAGNOSES: Follow-up exam
HIV Antibody Positive, Stage 2
3. When hospitalization is for a condition unrelated to the HIV infection, that condition
is the principal diagnosis.
DIAGNOSES: Closed Head Injury, MV
HIV Positive, Stage 1 of Infection