4. Subcategories and Subclassifications V1.-V1.9 are to be used only as
additional codes in classifying the primary site of a previously excised or eradicated
malignant neoplasm with no evidence of recurrence of the primary site. Subcategory
codes V1.6-V1.79 are also used only as additional codes for classifying leukemia
and other lymphatic and hematopoietic neoplasms in remission (see principle VIII,
5. Subcategory code V15. (allergy, other than to medicinal agents) may be used as
principal diagnosis, solo code, or it may be used as an additional code as appropriate.
For example, it will be used to denote hypersensitivity to insect sting (bite) where that
condition results in disability separation/failure to meet medical procurement standards.
6. Subclassification code V15.81 should be used when indicated for patients who do
not comply with prescribed medical treatment. This will be used only as an additional
7. Subcategory V22.2 (Pregnant State, Incidental) will be used only as an additional
code; for example, when the cause of admission is not the pregnancy but an unrelated
condition (fractured femur, patient is 3 months pregnant).
8. Subcategory V24.0 (Postpartum Care and Examination Immediately After Delivery)
will be used only when patient is admitted immediately following delivery for routine
care. Should be used only as principal diagnosis.
9. Subcategory V25.2 (Sterilization). This code is to be used for elective sterilization
procedures of both males and females. It is to be used only when the sterilization
procedure was performed for the major purpose of contraception rather than for
treatment of a disease where sterilization is an incidental result, using the following
a. If the primary reason for admission is for elective sterilization for contraceptive
purposes, use code V25.2 as the cause of admission. If the sterilization is purely
elective, code V25.2 will suffice as a solo code for the diagnosis.
b. If the sterilization procedure was performed for contraceptive purposes during a
current admission for obstetrical delivery, use code V25.2 as an additional code.
However, if the sterilization was an end result of a hysterectomy performed because of
injury or damage to the uterus during delivery, do not use code V25.2.
c. Do not use code V25.2 when the major purpose of the procedure performed was
not for contraception; for example, when a hysterectomy is performed for cancer of the
10. Category V27 (Outcome of Delivery) will be used on the mother's record to denote
whether the delivery process resulted in a live -born, stillborn, multiple birth or any
combination thereof. The proper use of the V27 category is explained further in
Principle IX (OB -GYN Conditions).