5. Patients admitted solely for radiotherapy session or for maintenance chemotherapy,
code to proper V58 category.
DIAGNOSIS: Carcinoma of cervix, hysterectomy
2 months ago. Admitted for
PRINCIPLE IX. OB-GYN CONDITIONS
1. Abortion Category Codes.
a. For DOD purposes, abortions will be classified by type, in the following
(1) Missed abortion, ectopic and molar pregnancy - 63 to 633.
(2) Spontaneous - 634.
(3) Legally induced (therapeutic, elective) - 635.
(4) Illegally induced - 636.
(5) Unspecified abortion - 637.
(6) Failed attempted abortion - 638.
(7) Complications following abortion and ectopic and molar pregnancies - 639.
b. The subcategory levels (fourth digits) identify the presence or absence of
complications. They identify complications resulting from the abortion, not the reasons
for performing the abortion. Use of the fifth digit , unspecified stage, is strongly
discouraged and will be questioned.
c. Fifth digit codes listed at the bottom of pages 531, 532, an d 533 are for use with
abortion categories 634 through 637 to indicate the stage of the abortion as complete,
incomplete, or unspecified.
d. When abortion procedures are done for therapeutic reasons, or if the MTF is
allowed to perform elective abortions, the procedures frequently used are:
(1) Hysterotomy or hysterectomy to terminate pregnancy - 74.91.
(2) Amniotic or saline injection for termination of pregnancy - 75..
(3) Vacuum aspiration for termination of pregnancy - 69.51.
(4) D & C to terminate pregnancy - 69.1.