1. Chronic or long -term effect of drug:
DIAGNOSIS: Cardiac arrhythmia secondary to digitalis
2. Delayed or late effect of drug with previous manifestations specified:
DIAGNOSIS: Brain damage secondary to cerebral anoxia
1 year ago, resulting from severe allergic
reaction to penicillin.
3. Delayed or late effect of adverse reaction without specifying the previous adverse
DIAGNOSIS: Brain damage, due to allergic reaction to
348.9 909.9 E93.
penicillin 1 year ago.
NOTE: Code 99.9 is used to denote the cause of the late effect of a previous adverse
reaction to a drug only when the nature or manifestation of the previous allergic reaction
is not specified.
4. Categories 96-979 identify drugs, medicinal and biological substances causing the
DIAGNOSIS: Overdose, seconal
PRINCIPLE XII. DRUG AND ALCOHOL
1. Definitions of Dependency and Abuse. It is the responsibility of the physician to
clearly indicate in the diagnostic statement whether the individual is abusing or
dependent on the specific substance. To assist coding personnel in determining the
correct classification for specific diagnostic statements, the following definitions are