2. There are some codes in the classification which identify endoscopic biopsies.
Bronchoscopy with biopsy (Endoscopic bronchial biopsy)
3. If there is no code which includes both procedures, code each procedure
Laryngoscopy with biopsy (Laryngoscopy)
(Biopsy of Larynx)
4. If an endoscopy is performed and another procedure such as excision of lesion is
performed, code both the endoscopy and the other procedure - unless instructed
otherwise in the Alphabetic Index or the Tabular List.
PROCEDURE: Cystoscopy with transurethral resection of prostate
prostate -- see also Prostatectomy
Transurethral resection of prostate
5. A principal procedure is one which was performed for definitive (therapeutic)
treatment rather than one performed for diagnostic purposes.
DIAGNOSIS: Torn medial meniscus
PROCEDURE: Arthroscopy with meniscectomy
The meniscectomy is the principal procedure for it was performed for therapeutic
treatment, the arthroscopy is a diagnostic procedure.
6. When a diagnostic procedure is related to the principal diagnosis and a therapeutic
procedure is related to a secondary diagnosis, then the principal procedure is the
PRINCIPAL DIAGNOSIS : Gastritis
SECONDARY DIAGNOSIS : Left indirect inguinal hernia
PROCEDURES: Gastroscopy (diagnostic)
Left inguinal herniorrhaphy (therapeutic)
The herniorrhaphy is the principal procedure.