(3) Sulfur (chemical name). Sulfur is used as a keratoplastic in the
treatment of acne and seborrheic dermatitis.
(4) Tretinoin (topical) (Retin A). This agent is used in the treatment of
severe acne. The application of this agent to the skin will produce a horny layer of skin
that is more easily removed. It is important that the patient use this preparation as
directed by the physician and package directions. This medicine should not be applied
to windburned or sunburned skin. It should not be applied to open wounds.
Furthermore, the medication should not be applied inside the nose, around the eyes, or
around the mouth. While the patient is using the medication, he should avoid exposing
the area being treated to too much wind or sun (or sun lamp). When the patient begins
using this product, he may find that he is more sensitive to cold temperatures and to
wind than before; therefore, protection should be worn until the persons sees how he
reacts. This product is available in cream, liquid, and gel.
(5) Salicylic acid 2% and sulfur 2% (Fostex). This preparation is available
in cream or soap. It is used to treat acne.
(6) Salicylic acid 2% and Sulfur 2% shampoo (Sebulex or Sebra). This
shampoo is used to treat dandruff.
(7) Salicylic acid 2%, coal tar 0.5%, and sulfur 2% shampoo (Sebutone or
Sebra T). This product is used to treat dandruff.
End of Lesson 1