(2) The evaluation of all confirmed transfusion reactions.
(3) The development or approval of policies and procedures relating to the
distribution, handling, use, and administration of blood products.
(4) The review of the adequacy of transfusion services to meet the needs of
(5) The review of blood products ordering practices.
(6) Assess the actions taken and document improvement.
(7) Communicate relevant information to the Hospital Quality Assurance
2-7. FUNCTIONS OF THE TRANSFUSION COMMITTEE
a. Establish broad policies for blood transfusion therapy.
b. Develop criteria audits of transfusion practice.
c. Enhance quality of patient care through objective assessment of ongoing blood
and blood component therapy.
d. Review and analyze the statistical reports of the transfusion services.
e. Audit blood use. Special emphasis must be given to the following:
(1) Blood products transfused.
(2) Adverse reactions to transfusions.
(3) The transmission of infectious diseases and other adverse effects of blood
f. Review the findings of problem areas and evaluate their improvement.
g. Promote continuing education in transfusion practices for the hospital staff.
h. The assessment of the safety and adequacy of the blood supply.
i. Annual review of the written policies and procedures of the hospital transfusion
services to ensure they conform with the standards set by the AABB and the FDA.