Figure 4-9. Apply a sterile dressing around a drain.
d. Secure Outer Dressing.
Remove your gloves and mask.
(2) Place a strip of tape diagonally across the outer dressing so that both
ends of the tape are anchored to the skin.
(3) Place a strip of tape along one of the long edges of the dressing so that
both ends of the tape are anchored to the skin and the rest of the strip is half on the
dressing and half on the skin.
(4) Place a strip of tape on the opposite long edge using the same
procedure. (Finished product will resemble that shown in figure 4-5.)
(5) Make sure that the dressing is secure, but is not constricting blood flow
below the dressing.
(6) Write the date and time the dressing was changed on one of the tape
strips and initial it.
a. Remove and discard contaminated materials according to the local SOP.
b. Perform a patient care handwash.
c. Tell the supervisor that the dressing has been changed. Report the
appearance of the wound, the amount and description of drainage, and any other
observations made during the procedure.