(b) Wash out the patient's mouth with water to dilute the acid and
reduce its effect. Then, try to remove the poison by dilution as described in paragraph
4-5d of this lesson.
(c) To reduce further irritation and damage as well as soothe the
irritated membranes, give the patient a demulcent. Use of demulcents is described in
paragraph 4-5e of this lesson.
(d) Treat the patient for shock.
(e) Next, take the patient to a field medical treatment facility or
evacuate as soon as possible. At the next facility, the acid will be further diluted, and
the patient will be treated for burns.
b. Metals. Usually, the body tissues are not directly destroyed by metal
poisoning. Instead, metal poisoning often sets up an inflammatory process at the site of
application or contact with the metallic substance. Among the metals which can poison
humans are ferrous sulfate (i.e., iron pills), mercury, bismuth, phosphorus (i.e.,
fireworks), and poisons for mice and rats. Most of the cases of poisoning from ferrous
sulfate are the result of children eating too many candy-coated ferrous sulfate tablets
(iron pills). The mortality rate is up to 30 percent. All forms of mercury are toxic if they
are absorbed. Mercury fatalities taking place in the home usually come from fumes
from gas heaters and from radiators painted with aluminum-looking (really mercury
based) paint. Bismuth is a silver-white metal used in the manufacture of electric gases,
low melting solders, and fusible alloys. Many rodenticides (poisons for mice and rats)
contain metals which are harmful to humans if ingested. Lead poisoning is common
among children nibbling on crib rails or toys which have been painted with old fashioned
lead-based paint. Use of improperly glazed china and other ceramics can make people
ill with lead poisoning.
Signs/symptoms of metal poisoning. Included are the following:
(d) Blood in the vomited matter and stools.
(e) Inflamed urinary tract.
Blue line around the gums.
(g) There may be pain and cramps in the abdomen.