(h) Compare results with the requirement. Breaded shrimp must have at
least 50% shrimp flesh and lightly breaded shrimp must have at least 65% shrimp flesh.
(2) Example of calculations. In this example, there are 20 breaded shrimp
weighing 14 ounces. Debreaded they weighed 7.5 ounces.
7.5 14 x 100 = 53.6%
53.6% + 2% = 55.6%
53.5700 or 53.6%
53.6% + 2.0% = 55.6%
shrimp flesh = 55.6%
d. Net Weight of Glazed Shrimp. When the product has been glazed as a
means of preservation, this glaze is not part of the net weight. The procedure below is
a method of determining the unglazed weight of a box of frozen shrimp.
(1) Weigh glazed shrimp and record the weight of the sample unit within the
bag or carton.
(2) Place sample unit into 4 gallon container or a larger container.
(3) Using a 75o to 87o F water source, introduce water from the bottom of the
container through a hose at 6 gallon per minute flow rate.
(4) After glaze has melted (been removed) and shrimp have separated,
empty the container into a tared (preweighed) No. 8 sieve, 12 inches in diameter.
(5 Tilt sieve at a 45o angle and let drain for two minutes.
(6) Weigh both sieve and shrimp.
(7) Determine net weight of unglazed shrimp by subtracting tare weight of
sieve from the total weight determined in (6) above.
(8) Compare net (unglazed) weight to the marked net weight on the