The patient has a legal right not to have any test or procedure designed for
educational purposes, rather than for his or her direct personal benefit, performed
on him or her.
13. The patient has a legal right to refuse any particular drug, test procedure, or
14. The patient has a legal right to both personal and informational privacy with
respect to: the hospital staff, other doctors, residents, interns and medical
students, researchers, nurses, other hospital personnel, and other patients.
15. We recognize the patient's right of access to people outside the health care facility
by means of visitors and telephone. Parents may stay with children and relatives
with terminally ill patients 24 hours a day.
16. The patient has a legal right to leave the health care facility, regardless of physical
condition or financial status, although he or she may be requested to sign a
release stating that he or she is leaving against the medical judgment of his or her
doctor or the hospital.
17. No patient may transfer to another facility unless: he or she has received a
complete explanation of the desirability and need for the transfer, the other facility
has accepted the patient for transfer, and the patient has agreed to transfer. If the
patient does not agree to transfer, the patient has the right to a consultant's
opinion on the desirability of transfer.
18. The patient has the right to be notified of discharge at least 1 day before it is
accomplished, to demand a consultation by an expert on the desirability of
discharge, and to have a person of the patient's choice notified.
19. The patient has the right, regardless of source of payment, to examine and
receive an itemized and detailed explanation of his or her total bill.
20. The patient has the right to competent counseling to help him or her obtain
financial assistance from public or private sources.
The patient has the right to a timely prior notice of the termination of his or her
eligibility for reimbursement for the expense of his/her care by any third-party
The patient has the right, at the termination of his or her stay, to a complete copy
of the information in his or her medical record.
The patient has the right to have 24-hour-a-day access to a patient's rights
advocate, who may act on behalf of the patient to assert or protect the rights set
out in this document.
End of Appendix B