(3) Inserts. Optical inserts are used by soldiers who require vision
(4) Bag. The M1A1 waterproof bag is used to protect the mask, especially
the filter elements, from damage by water.
(5) Winterizing kit. The M4 mask winterization kit is used when the
temperature is below -20oF (-29oC). The kit prevents frost accumulation on the inlet
valve caps. Using the kit makes breathing more difficult (increases breathing
(6) Carrier. The carrier is used to store the mask, accessories, and other
items such as M8 detection paper and MARK I auto injectors.
b. Putting on the M17A2 Mask. You should be able to put on, clear, and check
your M17-series mask (first 12 steps) within 9 seconds. You should be able to put on
your hood (steps 13 and 14) within an additional 6 seconds. The following are
procedures for donning your mask and hood (see figure 1-3).
Stop breathing. Do not inhale prior to masking.
(2) Remove your helmet. Place it in a convenient location that is not
contaminated, if possible.
(3) Take off your eyeglasses, if worn, and store them in a safe location such
as a pocket of your overgarment.
(4) Open your mask carrier with one hand and grasp your mask just below
the eyepiece with your other hand.
(5) Pull the mask out of the carrier, letting the hood hang inside out in front
of the facepiece (figure 1-3A).
(6) Grasp the facepiece with both hands, slide your thumbs up and inside
the mask, and open the head harness and faceplate as wide as you can.
Put your chin in the chin pocket (figure 1-3B).
(8) Pull the head harness up over your head, making sure the head pad is
centered at the top back of your head and the mask is smooth against your face and
forehead. Do not put the head harness over the head first, and then pull the mask down
over your face.