(2) Style 2--halved (split). Poultry in Style 2 is split in half, down the back
line and through the breast lengthwise.
Style 3--quartered. Poultry is cut into quarters after it is split as in
(4) Style 4--cut-up, eight pieces. Two wings, two drumsticks, two breast
quarters without wings (two breast halves with back portions), and two thighs with back
(5) Style 5--cut-up, eight pieces (without back). Two wings, two drumsticks,
two thighs, and two breast portions with vertebral ribs. (No part of the back, except the
vertebral ribs, are included in Style 5.)
(6) Style 6--cut-up, nine pieces. Two wings, 2 drumsticks, 2 thighs with
back portions, and 3 breast portions (one without and two with back portions). Make a
crosswise cut into the carcass to produce a front section (breast portion with back) and
a rear section (thigh portion with back).
(7) Style 7--cut-up, nine pieces (without back). Two wings, two drumsticks,
two thighs, and two breast portions (one without and two with vertebral ribs).
(8) Style 8--parts. Parts, pieces, or portions may be cut in any manner
provided they are specified in the contract or announcement and correctly labeled (that
is, drumsticks, thighs, wings, legs, breasts with ribs, thighs with back portion).
TYPES OF CHICKEN
Chicken is designated by type when reference is made to the state of
refrigeration. There are three types, as follows:
a. Type I--Fresh-Chilled (Ready-to-Cook). Type I means that the chicken is
fress chilled ready to cook (RTC). Chilling of the product must comply with the standard
requirement. The product must be delivered to destination at an internal temperature of
not higher than 40F (4C) or lower than 28F (-2C). Destination temperature will be
taken in the breast or thigh in the bulk of the meat.
b. Type II--Frozen (Ready-to-Cook) (RTC). The placing of the chilled
carcasses or parts into the freezer must be accomplished within 48 hours after initial
chilling. During this period, if not immediately placed in the freezer after chilling and
packaging, the product must be held at 36F (2C) or lower. The chickens must be
frozen in compliance with requirement (temperature lowered to 0F (-18C) or lower
within 72 hours).