Allow the urine to flow into the catheter tray (drainage bag, if retention
**If inserting a retention catheter, skip steps (6) through (9) and go to
(6) Collect a sterile specimen (if ordered) in the sterile specimen cup
contained in the kit.
Never allow more than 1000 cc of urine to drain from the bladder at one time.
Clamp the catheter and wait about 15 minutes before allowing the remainder
of the urine to drain.
When the urine has stopped flowing, pinch off the catheter and gently
Dry the patient and leave him in a comfortable position. Replace any
Wash hands. Skip steps (10) through (16). Go to follow-up phase
(10) When urine is observed moving through the collecting tubing, advance
the catheter another 1/2 inch. (This will ensure that the catheter tip is fully within the
(11) Inflate the balloon with 10 cc of sterile water.
(12) GENTLY pull on catheter to ensure that it is properly placed, and then
gently push back into the bladder about 1/4 inch.
(13) Secure catheter in place with adhesive tape. Anchor the catheter to the
skin of the abdomen, with the penis pointing toward the patient's head.
(14) Dry the patient and leave him in a comfortable position.
(15) Wash hands.
(16) If collection of a sterile specimen is ordered, you may collect it from the
drainage bag at this time. (Closed system is sterile until opened.)
This is the ONLY time it is acceptable to collect urine from the drainage bag
for testing purposes.
c. Follow-Up Phase.