g. Waste receptacle.
**If inserting an indwelling (retention) catheter, you will also need:
h. Sterile water (usually included in kit).
Sterile syringe (10 cc) (usually included in kit).
j. Sterile urine drainage bag with collecting tubing.
2-19. CATHETERIZING THE FEMALE PATIENT
a. Preparatory Phase.
Check physician's order.
Approach and identify the patient and explain the procedure.
(3) Place patient in supine position with knees bent and feet resting flat on
the bed about two feet apart. Drape the patient.
Position moisture-proof pad under patient's buttocks.
(5) Place waste receptacle in accessible place.
Direct light for visualization of genital area.
Open catheter kit using aseptic technique.
Squeeze lubricant into plastic tray.
(10) Pour cleansing solution over cotton balls or open swab packet.
(11) Wash hands and put on sterile gloves.
**If inserting retention catheter, you must also:
(12) Inspect catheter for defects. Test the balloon by injecting 10 cc of
sterile water into the balloon. Allow water to drain back into syringe.
If there is a leak in the balloon, the catheter must be discarded and replaced.
(13) Connect the catheter to the connecting tubing on the drainage bag.
Maintain sterility of catheter and drainage bag.