EXERCISES, LESSON 5
REQUIREMENT. The following exercises are to be answered by completing the
After you have completed all the exercises, turn to "Solutions to Exercises" at the
end of the lesson, and check your answers.
1. Muscle tissues are specialized to produce t
by contraction. In fact, they
function solely by
n. As a by-product, muscle tissues also produce
The term "contraction" means the production of
n through the interaction of the
2. Myofilaments are long complexes of p_______n molecules. There are two main
types of myofilaments: ____in and _____in. The myosin filaments are th_____er and
have appendages known as myosin _______s. The myosin filaments are surrounded
by thinner _____n filaments. Great numbers of well-developed ____________a are
found in striated muscle fibers.
3. A popular theory explaining the contraction of striated muscle fibers is the
"_____ing ________t" theory. This theory emphasized the role of the ______n
_______s, which swing and draw the _____n filaments over the ______n filaments.
What is the "all-or-none" phenomenon concerning the contraction of striated muscle
The tension produced by a striated muscle fiber is potentially greatest when the
fiber is at its _____ing ______h.
4. Striated muscle fibers are found in ________l muscles, _______iomeric muscles,
extra______r muscles, and _____________y muscles.
5. The individual skeletal muscle is composed primarily of ________d muscle fibers
and ____ fibers. White striated muscle fibers are (fast) (slow). Red striated muscle
fibers are (fast) (slow).
The fast striated muscle fibers can contract rapidly and strongly but for a ______
time. The slow striated muscle fibers can contract for a _____ time.