(2) Spread the coat, with sleeves turned inside out, on a table so that all of
the inside can be seen. Powder the inside, taking special care to apply the powder
along the shoulder, armpit, and arm seams.
(3) Turn the trousers inside out and lay them with the seat uppermost on top
of the coat. Powder all seams, particularly at the crotch and down both legs.
Spread and powder the shirt in the same way as the coat (paragraph (2)
(5) Turn the underwear inside out and powder it thoroughly, again giving
special attention to the seams.
Fold the entire pile of clothing together and pound it several times to fluff
(7) Repeat the procedure before putting on each change of clean clothing.
The shoes are not ordinarily powdered.
g. Individual Control Procedure for Head and Crab Lice.
(1) Using the two-ounce sifter can of lindane powder (paragraph 1-28f
above), dust the head and hairy portions of the body.
(2) Do not bathe or wash the hair for 24 hours. (This gives the insecticide
time to kill the lice.)
(3) One week from the initial application, apply the insecticide powder again
to kill lice that may have hatched in the meantime. Do not bathe and shampoo for 24
hours after the powder has been applied.
(4) At the end of 10 days, examine the head and hairy parts of the body
closely to be sure that no living lice are present. If the hair is cut short, lice can be seen
more easily. Short hair is also easier to powder effectively. Shorn hair should be
collected and burned.
h. Delousing Extra Clothing and Bedding. Although killing the lice found on a
person's body and on the clothes he is wearing will usually solve the problem, extra
clothing and bedding can be infested and cause reinfestations.
(1) When delousing extra clothing and bedding with a hand duster, place
the delivery tube between the layers of clothing in order to speed the job and avoid
wasting powder. If mattress covers are not in use, place a blanket over the mattress
and apply the powder between the two items, taking care to reach the sides and seams.
Blankets are deloused by spreading one on top of another and dusting between every
two of them or by folding each blanket once and dusting between the two layers. The