(3) If current inspection is verified, a general examination will be made for
transportation damage/obvious defects.
b. In-Storage Inspection. These are inspections performed on a routine
schedule while the rations are in storage.
(1) Perishable operational rations (UGR--A) are not designed or intended for
long storage periods, however UGR--A's and UGRH&S's will be inspected monthly to
determine product condition once they have reached their inspection test date (ITD).
(2) Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) owned semiperishable operational
rations not kept in cold storage/war reserve locations, should be inspected at six-month
Service-owned rations should be inspected annually, at a minimum.
(4) Inspection frequency should be maintained as long as the ration
inspection results do not indicate significant degradation, and the rations have not
exceeded their serviceable storage life based on the criteria in DoD 4140.27-M, Shelf-
Life Management Manual and applicable appendix.
The purpose of DoD 4140.27-M is to set forth policy and procedures for the
supply chain (life cycle) management of standard and hazardous shelf life
items contained in the Federal Supply System.
(5) Rations with a low water activity, such as survival rations need only be
inspected annually (DLA-owned or service owned) as long as the rations inspection
results do not indicate significant degradation, and the rations have not exceeded their
serviceable storage life based on the criteria in DoD 4140.27-M, and applicable
appendix. The Accountable Officer may request inspection at any time.
Semiperishable rations will be inspected at the following frequency:
(a) At six-month intervals once the inspection test date (ITD) has been
reached, as long as they are still in Condition Code A.
(b) At three-month intervals, once the rations have been placed in
Condition Code B.
(c) At one-month intervals, once the rations have been placed in
Condition Code C.
(7) After inspection test date (ITD) has passed, inspections of Unitized
Group RationsHeat & Serve (UGRH&S) modules will be performed at 3-month
intervals for Condition Code A stocks, and 1 month intervals for all other condition