a. Purpose. These rations are used to sustain individuals during heavy activity
such as military training or military operations that preclude organized food service
facilities, but where re-supply is established or planned.
b. Product Characteristics.
(1) The Meal, Ready-to-Eat (MRE) is a self-contained operational ration
consisting of a full meal packaged in a flexible bag. The flexible-packaged foods are
heat processed in retort pouches.
(2) The components are lightweight, easily opened, and compact to fit easily
into military field clothing pockets.
(3) Each meal contains an entre/starch, crackers, a spread (cheese,
peanut butter, jam, or jelly), a dessert/snack, beverages, an accessory packet, a plastic
spoon and a flameless ration heater (FRH).
(4) Since MRE XVIII (1998) to the present, 24 menus have been available.
Case A contains menus 112 and Case B contains menus 1324.
(5) Each meal provides an average of 1250 kilocalories. With the addition
of supplemental pouch bread, the value increases by 200 kilocalories.
The shelf life is a minimum of 3 years at 80F (27C), 6 months at 100F
Each pallet contains 24 A-cases and 24 B-cases.
Each shipping container/case has a net weight of 22 pounds.