a. Purpose. The ration, cold weather (RCW) is used to sustain an individual
during operations under frigid conditions.
b. Product Characteristics.
(1) The six menus contain precooked, dehydrated entres and other low
(2) It is a lightweight ration, and many of the components can be eaten
either dry or rehydrated. Several drink mixes and soup are included in each menu to
encourage water consumption.
The individual soldier prepares the food.
(4) There are two meal bags per ration (an A and B pouch), which provide
food for 24 hours.
(5) There are six rations per shipping container, one of each menu. All
packaging is flexible and the outside bag is made of white camouflage material.
Each menu provides 4500 kilocalories.
(7) The expected shelf life is a minimum of 3 years at 80F (27C) and 6
months at100F (38C).
The ration weighs 2.75 pounds and the case weighs 21.31 pounds.
c. Additional Information.
The RCW will no longer be procured after the year 2000.
(2) The RCW has been reconfigured into three individual meals per day in
lieu of the current one complete daily ration packaged in two meal bags.
(3) The RCW has been replaced by the Meal, Cold Weather/Food Packet,