b. STEP 2: Determine Sample Size for Each Component and Select
(1) Sample size will be determined in accordance with Table B, Sample
Criteria For Special Inspection of Shipping Containers (Nondestructive CPI), (Table 4-2)
for container inspections or Table D, Sample Criteria For Special Inspection of Module
Contents, (Table 4-4) for the module contents inspections.
(2) Inspect in accordance with applicable defect tables; Table F, Defects for
Metal Trays (Table 4-6), Table G, Defects for Metal Containers Other Than Trays (Table
4-7), Table H, Defects for Plastic/Glass Containers (Table 4-8), Table I, Defects for
Flexible Pouches (Table 4-9), Table J, Defects for Envelopes (Packets) (Table 4-10),
and Table K, Defects for Nonfood Components (Tables 4-11).
(3) For special inspections, good sample representation of the lot is
extremely important to help preclude unnecessary destruction. If routine inspection
defects tend to be associated with a certain lot or lots, these should be inspected
(4) The sample size for each component involved will normally dictate the
minimum number of cases that must be selected for special inspections. The inspector
may increase the number of cases from which samples are drawn for cogent reasons.
c. STEP 3: Determine Disposition of the Lot.
(1) If none of the Action Numbers are reached or exceeded, each module is
considered to be fully useable and the Condition Code of the lot may remain
(2) For each Action Number equaled or exceeded, determine the Condition
Code of the lot. Refer to Table N, Condition Code Criteria Defects From Special
Inspection Results (Components That Equal or Exceed an Action Number) (Table 4-14).
d. STEP 4: Provide Results and Recommendations to Accountable
(1) Input data to the appropriate Lotus Notes (LN) Unitized Group Ration
Heat & Serve (UGR H&S) database and provide a copy of the inspection report to the
(2) If Lotus Notes access is not available, complete DSCP Form 5117,
Report of Inspection on
Operational Rations (Figure 3-2) and provide a copy
of the report to the Accountable Officer.