EXERCISES, LESSON 3
INSTRUCTIONS. Write the word, words, symbols, or numbers that properly
completes the statement in the space provided or mark the correct word/phrase from
those given. After you complete the exercises, turn to Solutions to Exercises and
check your answers. Reread the material referenced for each exercise answered
1. The most common type of bonding in inorganic chemistry is __________
bonding. The most common type of bonding in organic chemistry is
______________ bonding. This means that in organic compounds, the electrons
involved in bonds are usually ____________ by the atoms.
2. In inorganic chemistry, a compound is often completely identified by a simple
formula such as H3PO4, NaCl, or Fe(OH)3. However, in organic chemistry, we
frequently need formulas that indicate the molecule's ____________. In organic
chemistry, several compounds may have the same makeup in terms of
e__________ and number of each _________, but their chemical and physical
properties may be quite _____________.
3. In water, organic compounds are generally (soluble) (insoluble) and inorganic
compounds tend to be _____________. In organic solvents, organic compounds
are generally _________ and inorganic compounds are generally __________ .
4. A hydrocarbon is a compound that contains only two elements, _________ and
_________. If a hydrocarbon has only open chains (straight or branched), it is
called an _______________ hydrocarbon.
5. In an organic compound, two carbon atoms may share only one pair of electrons.
This is called a ______ bond. If two carbon atoms share two pairs of electrons, it
is called a _________ bond. If two carbon atoms share three pairs of electrons,
it is called a __________ bond.
6. An aliphatic hydrocarbon, which has only single bonds between carbon atoms is
called an ____________. An aliphatic hydrocarbon with at least one double
bond between carbon atoms is called an ________. If an aliphatic hydrocarbon
has at least one triple bond between two carbon atoms, the compound is called
an __________ .