34. A mixture used to keep the pH of a solution nearly constant is called a
__________________ system. Such a system usually contains a weak
__________and a ___________of that weak _______________. The function of
a buffer system is to keep the __________ at a nearly _____________ level.
Which of the following represents a buffer system?
35. The boiling point of water is ____________. The freezing point of water
is___________. Because water dissolves ______________ compounds, it is
called a __________ solvent. In biological and drug systems, water is generally
36. Two major methods of water purification for medical use are di
______________________ and I ___________ e _____________ (de
37. A solute is a substance that is _______________ in a solution. A solvent is the
substance in which the ____________ is dissolved. The solubility of a compound
is the maximum amount that will ____________ in a given amount of
________________ at a given ____________. The substance in which the solute
is dissolved is called the _________________. The amount of a substance that
will dissolve under specified conditions is called its _________________.
38. The dissociation of a molecule means that it is ______________ into ions. When
a compound is dissolved and its molecules split into ions, we call this process
______________. When an electrolyte is dissolved, many of its molecules
_______________ and form _________. If a compound forms enough ions in
solution to make the solution capable of carrying an electric current, then we say
that compound is an ____________________ .
Check Your Answers on Next Page