The bicarbonate radical has a total negative valence of______. Sodium
bicarbonate has a total positive valence of ________. Since the milligram
molecular weight of NaHCO3 is 84 mg, its milligram equivalent weight is ______
16. Sulfuric acid, H2SO4, has a milligram molecular weight of _________ ________ .
Its total positive valence is ___________. Its milligram equivalent weight is
17. If an element is oxidized, it (gains) (loses) electrons and its valence (increases)
(decreases). If an element is reduced, it (gains) (loses) electrons and its valence
(increases) (decreases). If an element is oxidized, there is an increase in its
_______________. If it is reduced, there is a decrease in its ____________.
When elemental iron reacts with diatomic oxygen, the valence of Fe goes
from______________ to _____________. The valence of O goes from
___________ to _____________. Iron (gains) (loses) electrons. Oxygen (gains)
(loses) electrons. Therefore, iron is (oxidized) (reduced) and oxygen is (oxidized)
(reduced). The element that gains electrons and loses valence is said to be
___________________. The element that loses electrons and gains valence is
said to be _________________________.
18. Oxidation may be defined as a ________________ of electrons or a
______________of valence. Reduction may be defined as a _____________ of
electrons or a _____________ of valence.
19. In an oxidation-reduction reaction, the oxidizing agent is (oxidized) (reduced) and
the reducing agent is ____________________.
20. When elemental magnesium Mg reacts with diatomic iodine, we have the following
Mg + I2 ---> MgI2
In this reaction, the valence of magnesium goes from _______ to ______. The
valence of iodine (I) goes from _______ to ____________. Since the valence of
magnesium increases, magnesium is said to be ______________. Since the
valence of iodine decreases, iodine is said to be __________. The reducing agent
in this reaction is _______. The oxidizing agent is _____________