THE ORDER OF THE PROCEDURE
a. Remove artifacts.
b. Measure part.
c. Set control panel.
d. Technical Factors: Film size- 10 x 12" (24 x 30 cm)
1. Divide film in half crosswise
2. Detail screen table top
3. 60 kVp range ( increase 4 kVp from PA an Oblique )
f. Patient/Part position: Patient seated at end of table with both arm and forearm resting on table
with elbow flexed about 90 degrees and wrist and hand on cassette in thumb up lateral position.
1. Drop shoulder or raise table height so shoulder, elbow and wrist are on the same horizontal
2. Align long axis of hand and forearm to center of the long axis of the cassette.
3. Adjust the hand and wrist into the true lateral position with the fingers comfortably flexed; or if
support is needed to prevent motion, use a radiolucent support block and sandbag and place
block against extended hand and fingers as shown.
g. CR: CR perpendicular to film, directed to
mid wrist joint.
sides to include distal radius, ulna,
and at least to mid-metacarpal
j. Immobilization: Pre exposure instructions: Hold still; don't move.
k. Shielding: Place lead shield over patient's lap to shield gonads.
l. Demonstrates: Superimposed proximal metacarpals, carpals, distal radius, ulna and wrist joint in
the true lateral position.