THE ORDER OF THE PROCEDURE
a. Remove artifacts.
b. Measure part.
c. Set control panel.
d. Technical Factors: Film size- 10 x 12" (24 x 30 cm)
1. Divide film in half crosswise
2. Detail screen table top
3. 60 kVp range
f. Patient/Part position: Patient seated at end of table with elbow flexed about 90 degrees with hand
and wrist resting on cassette, palm down.
1. Drop shoulder or raise table height so shoulder, elbow and wrist are on the same horizontal
2. Align long axis of hand and forearm to center of the long axis of the cassette, with carpal area
to center of film.
3. With hand pronated, wrist and carpal area in close contact with cassette.
4. Without moving forearm, gently evert (move toward ulnar side, or towards 5th digit) as far as
patient can tolerate without lifting or obliquing distal forearm.
g. CR: Angle CR 15 20 degrees proximally
(along log axis of forearm towards elbow) to
sides to outer margins of hand and
direct CR perpendicular to scaphoid.
Center CR to scaphoid ( in. medial and
in. distal to the lateral styloid process).
j. Immobilization: : Pre exposure instructions: Hold still; don't move.
k. Shielding: Place lead shield over patients lap to shield gonads.
l. Demonstrates: Scaphoid without foreshortening with opened spaces between adjacent carpals.
Also to a lessor degree visualizes the trapezium and trapezoid.