a. Terms. The following terms have special meaning when they are related to
(1) Next of kin (NOK). An individual's nearest relative or relatives in the
following line of succession:
(b) Sons or daughters in the order of seniority.
(c) Oldest parent unless legal custody granted to another person.
(d) Blood or adoptive relative granted legal custody.
(e) Brothers or sisters in the order of seniority.
(f) Oldest grandparent.
(g) Other relative in accordance with laws of deceased's domicile.
(2) Primary next of kin (PNOK). The Primary next of kin is the legal next of
kin. This is the person of any age most closely related to the individual according to the
line of succession explained in (1) above. Seniority, as determined by age, is the
determinant when the persons are of equal relationship.
(3) Adult next of kin (ANOK). The adult next of kin is the adult who is
highest in the line of succession explained in (1) above, except that a spouse who is a
minor is considered the adult next of kin.
(4) Secondary next of kin (SNOK). The secondary next of kin is any next of
kin other than the primary next of kin.
(5) Casualty area commander (CAC). The casualty area commander is the
commander assigned responsibility for the area in which the casualty occurs in
(6) Major oversea commander (MOC). The major overseas commander is
the commander assigned responsibility for the area in which the casualty occurs
(1) The initial casualty report is the first report submitted on an individual
involved in any single casualty.