(3) The Department of Psychiatry and Neurology may become the
Department of Psychiatry with a Neurology Section being added to the Department of
(4) The Department of Pathology and Area Laboratory Services becomes
the Department of Pathology. Laboratory work beyond the department's capabilities is
referred to the MEDCEN.
(5) The Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Service may be changed to
the Occupational Therapy or Physical Therapy Section and placed under the
Orthopedic Service of the Department of Surgery.
(6) The Department of Family Practice will be changed to the Family
Practice Service if the hospital does not have a family practice residency-teaching
(7) The functions of the Social Work Service may be performed by the
Community Mental Health Activity of the MEDDAC.
(8) The Department of Clinical Investigation may be changed to a Clinical
(9) The Clinical Support Division may not exist and each professional
element of the hospital will be responsible for performing the functions for that element.
Normally, each affected department or service will form a Clinical Support Section to
perform the support functions.
(10) The Force Development Division may be replaced by a Force
Development Section assigned to either the Personnel Division; the Comptroller
Division; or the Plans, Operations, Training and Security Division.
(11) The Data Processing Center is not established if the MEDDAC does not
have a centralized computer facility.
c. Activities. The Veterinary Service, Community Mental Health Service,
PVNTMED, and Dental Service perform the same functions in a MEDDAC as in a
Section III. OTHER MAJOR HSC ELEMENTS
2-15. AREA DENTAL LABORATORY
a. Mission and Functions. The mission of an ADL is to plan, coordinate,
supervise, and perform dental laboratory support services for oral health service of the
Army and for other departments, agencies, and organizations as directed. Functions of
an ADL include: