SOLUTIONS TO EXERCISES, LESSON 5
NOTE: The wording of your answers can differ from the wording of the solutions.
However, the same ideas must be expressed.
1. On the checklist, you should have:
Circled item 03 and underlined "Potentially hazardous food" "time/temperature
2. Observations 3 and 4. (chart, items 4 and 1)
3. Observation 3 is unsatisfactory because thermometers should be installed in cold
storage units. Personnel must have accurate knowledge of the temperature.
Observation 4 is unsatisfactory. The temperature of these items in the refrigeration
unit is above 45F. In addition, potentially hazardous food (stew) has apparently
been above 45F for seven hours (0830 to 1530). Harmful microorganisms which
could cause an outbreak of foodborne disease may be present.
(chart, items 4 and 1)
4. Yes. Since there are no thermometers, employees would not accurately know the
temperature. The temperature could easily rise above 45F without personnel
knowing that a temperature problem exists. (chart, items 1 and 4)
5. c. Item 03 is critical. (chart, items 1 and 4)
6. b (chart, item 1)
End of Lesson 5