The components are compatible with the restriction of potable water.
(4) The Food Packet, Survival, Abandon Ship contains a minimum of six
equally shaped, commercially available, individually wrapped bars per intermediate box,
25 packets per case.
Each packet provides approximately 2400 kilocalories.
The shelf life is 84 months at 80F (27C).
(7) Each packet weighs 5.2 ounces, 5.75 pounds per intermediate box and
48 pounds per case.
c. Additional Information.
(1) The components have a maximum stability for storage in on-deck craft
under all climatic conditions.
(2) This ration meets the 5 year shelf life criteria stated in US Coast Guard
regulations Governing Emergency Provisions for Lifeboats and Life Rafts.
(3) The ration was designed from lessons learned after ocean disasters,
which showed that other supplies, such as lifesaving equipment and drinking water,
were more critical to survival than food.
This new commercial version became available in 1997.
1-19. FOOD PACKET, SURVIVAL, AIRCRAFT, LIFE RAFT
a. Purpose. This packet is used by the Navy to sustain personnel that survive
aircraft disasters. The packet, along with other essential equipment, is supplied in the
emergency kits carried aboard naval aircraft.