b. Product Characteristics.
(1) The prototype will be a high energy, eat-out-of hand/eat-on-the-move
concept with scenario driven tailorability (cold, temperate, hot environment) for use
during the first few days of combat.
(2) The FSR will be comprised of components such as the shelf stable
pocket sandwich, energy rich snacks, dairy bar, and performance enhancing ration
components such as the HooAh! Bar and the ERGO drink. The FSR will be comprised
of dense and energy rich components.
(3) Components will include carbohydrate and protein-derived constituents
to enhance physical functioning and/or psychological resistance to stress. Micronutrient
fortification is also anticipated.
c. Additional Information.
(1) This ration will incorporate novel processing, packaging, stabilization,
and preservation technologies.
(2) Bioengineering and novel delivery systems will be used to develop ration
components that contain desired nutrition/performance-enhancing constituents in a
portable, easily consumed and acceptable form.
(3) Focus groups with soldiers have been conducted to provide feedback on
potential components and packaging concepts. Marines will evaluate prototype FSRs in
1-16. FOOD PACKET, SURVIVAL, GENERAL PURPOSE, IMPROVED
(1) The Food Packet, Survival, General Purpose, Improved (GP-1) is used
by the Services to sustain an individual in survival situations, including escape and
evasion, under all environmental conditions, and when potable water is limited.