(1) The tailored operational training meal (TOTM) was created to provide an
alternative operational training meal in lieu of "sack lunches" and catered commercial
meals to organizations that engage in inactive duty training (IDT).
The TOTM promotes doctrine requirements and the "train as you fight"
b. Product Characteristics.
(1) The TOTM is similar to the MRE in packaging and contains many of the
same components. However, it employs commercial packaging to reduce cost.
(2) The entire meal is ready to eat, except for the beverages, which need to
(3) The TOTM is a totally self-contained packet consisting of a meal packed
in a flexible meal bag that is lightweight and fits easily into military field clothing pockets.
(4) Three sets of menus are available. Each set is comprised of six menus,
and each case contains two of each menu for a total of twelve meals per case.
Each meal bag provides an average of 997 kilocalories.
The average net weight per case is approximately 20.0 pounds.
(7) This product is designed to be a "just in time"/Direct Vendor Delivery
(DVD) item with a 7-10 day delivery time.
(8) The shelf life of the TOTM at the time of delivery to the customer will be
no less than 12 months.
(9) The NSN for this ration is based on the manufacturer. SOPACKO's
NSN is 8970-01E10-0239, Wornick's NSN is 8970-01-E10-0240, and Ameriqual's NSN
c. Additional Information.
The TOTM is not a MRE, nor was it designed to take the place of the
The TOTM can be adapted for disaster relief efforts.
(3) Although the entre may be eaten cold if operationally necessary, a
flameless ration heater is provided with each meal.